24 Dec How to Spread Holiday Cheer All Year
We love the holidays because of the good feelings they bring. They are a time for joy, laughter, pretty lights, great decor and delicious food. However, the holidays do not bring cheer to everyone. For some, this time of year can be stressful and anxiety-ridden. How do you bring holiday cheer to those around you? Phelps Law is excellent at providing strategic estate planning services to Gilbert, Scottsdale and surrounding areas, but we also love to bring joy to those around us whenever we can.
Holiday cheer is something that does not have to last only for a few weeks a year, but can be something you can spread all year long. It is a chance to give kindness, show consideration and be genuine. A smile goes a long way. Some other simple ways to bring cheer include:
- Handwritten Letter: This is a tradition that has seemingly gotten lost, but is an easy way to brighten someone’s day. If you are thinking of someone, take the time to write them a handwritten letter. It shows consideration, thoughtfulness and kindness. Most people are used to getting bills or junk in the mail, but how surprised would they be to get a letter from you!
- Facetime/Skype an Old Friend: If you want to forgo the old- school tradition of a handwritten letter, utilize the advancements technology has allowed us. Connect face-to-face with a friend you haven’t seen in awhile. Allow for a whole new way of catching up and building deeper connection.
- Buy Coffee for a Stranger: A simple gesture can go a long way and it is important to remember what the holidays are for. It can be anonymous or up front. When you go through a drive-through, pay for the car behind you, or while in line, offer to buy for the person in front or behind you. You can even leave a $20 at a store and have them pay for people’s orders until the money runs out. This is a great way to bring a smile to someone.
- Smile and Joke: …with your cashiers, waiters/waitresses, anyone who is serving you. With the hustle and bustle, some people forget to interact with those around them as people. Take the time to see them, say hi, joke with them, and get them to smile. It will not only brighten their day, but yours as well.
- Tip: When you are out to eat with friends or family, leave a nice tip. Show kindness to your server by giving them appreciation.
- Act of Kindness: Find a way to do an act of kindness, whether it is as simple as opening a door, bringing breakfast to work for your office, buying movie tickets for a family in your neighborhood, or serving at the local homeless shelter. An act of kindness can seem simple, but goes a long way to share the good cheer.
Holiday cheer is a pleasant aspect of this time of year. The hustle and bustle easily distract us from the meaning of the season, but there are many ways you can bring cheer all year. Phelps Law is here to help with all your estate-planning needs and to help spread the good cheer!
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (12/15/2017) Lauren Manning (Flickr)